- 1.8 liters of water
- 3kg apples & brambles
- 3 lemons
- Caster sugar as required (please see method below)
- Muslin or a fine cloth for straining
- Large pan and sieve
- Roughly chop the fruit and add to a large pan with the water.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and then simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to crush and break down the fruit until totally soft.
- Place a large sieve over a pan and line it with muslin. Strain the mixture through the muslin overnight.
- Measure the volume of liquid collected and add 700g of caster sugar for every 1 liter of liquid.
- Warm the mixture gently in a pan to dissolve the sugar and add lemon juice to taste.
- Bottle while warm in clean, sterilized bottles (see youtube for videos on sterilizing bottles).
Once the bottles are open, store in the fridge and use within 3 months.